Frequently asked questions

What is EuroBiotix?

EuroBiotix is a multi-award winning socially conscious biotechnology company that was formed by a compassionate team of medical students, scientists and entrepreneurs united by a common vision of improving the lives of patients in hospital.

The Company’s immediate aim is to reduce the costs and inconveniences currently associated with providing a medical treatment called Faecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) by manufacturing unlicensed medicinal products that doctors can use in the procedure. Our long term aim is to develop a suite of tools and technology that allows doctors to take a more personalised approach to FMT.

We are passionate about furthering scientific research into this important field of science and we have established a number of formal research collaborations and an Independent Scientific and Medical Advisory Board to support us on our mission.

What is a Community Interest Company (CIC)?

A CIC is a special type of limited company that exists to benefit the community rather than solely private shareholders. By law, CICs must use their profits and assets for the public good.

CICs differ from private limited companies in a number of ways

  1. CICs have a ‘dividend cap’, which ensures that a CIC limited by shares can only distribute 35% of profits to shareholders. The remaining 65% must be reinvested into the company’s community objectives.
  1. All CIC’s have an ‘asset lock’, which means that all assets and profits (aside from those distributed in accordance with the rules on dividend capping) must be retained within the CIC and used solely for community benefit.
  1. A CIC regulator ensures that CICs maintain their community purpose.

With social objectives at its core, Eurobiotix CIC seeks to put patients’ needs at the forefront.

What is the Microbiome?

Microbes live on us and inside of us. There are viruses, fungi and bacteria that live in our guts, bodily fluids, cavities and skin. Collectively, these microbes are known as the microbiota, and their genes are known as the microbiome.

Click here for more information.

What is Clostridium difficile (C.diff)?

Clostridium difficile (also known as C. difficile or C.diff) is a rod shaped bacterium that lives harmlessly in the intestines (also known as digestive tract or ‘gut’) of around 3-5% of normal population. It’s presence alone is not enough to cause problems, as other bacteria in the gut outnumber C.diff and keep it in check.

C.diff only causes problems when it outnumbers the other bacteria within the gut. This usually happens when someone takes antibiotics. Antibiotics non-specifically wipe out the other bacteria in the gut, allowing C.diff to grow to unusually high levels.

Click here for more information.

What is Faecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT)?

FMT is a treatment used to restore the balance of bacteria in the gut. It involves the transfer of carefully screened stool from a healthy donor into a patient’s gut. This can be carried out using a number of methods such as rectal enema, colonoscopy, nasogastric tube and nasoduodenal tube.

Click here for more information.

Is Faecal Microbiota Transplantation Effective in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)?

FMT is currently not licensed for use in patients with IBD. There are however, a large number of ongoing clinical trials investigating the use of FMT in patients with IBD. More extensive data showing consistency in the effectiveness of FMT use in IBD patients is required before it can be utilised as a treatment on a regular basis.

Can your products be used at home?

No. To ensure safe use and to comply with legislation and regulations we are only able to deal with qualified healthcare professionals working under controlled conditions.

How can I get involved?

If you are as passionate as we are about the opportunities that lie in the field of human microbiome research then we would like to hear from you. Please contact us at science@eurobiotix.org

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.